May 29, 2008

Lawyers for Jesus decry NY edict

Governor directs State agencies to recognize same-sex unions
"It’s a perfect example of a governor overstepping his authority and sidestepping the democratic process," said Brian Raum, senior legal counsel for the Alliance Defense Fund, a national organization opposed to same-sex marriage. "It’s an issue of public policy that should be decided by the voters."
And that is a perfect example of an advocate putting his argument cart before the constitutional horse, because I'm certain New York ratified this, 220 years ago come July 26:
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State.
There is a State public policy exception to the Full Faith and Credit Clause, but its erosion pursuant to the issue of same-sex marriage frightened the pants off of even Antonin "Some of my best friends are homos" Scalia in the course of his Lawrence v. Texas dissent.

From the Alliance Defense Fund's "What We Believe":
We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, with equality across racial, gender, and class differences.
What's the problem, then. Or is that only for "believers."

What I Believe — Steve Martin

3 comments:

Sam Sarver said...

They believe unity and equality only belong to those who believe as they believe. Wow, I can't wait until they start doing the whole "convert or die" thing.

illusory tenant said...

I'm trying not to read it that way.

capper said...

And I believe 8 of the 10 Commandments

And I believe in equality, equality for everyone.. no matter how stupid they are, or how much better I am than they are.


Steve Martin did talk radio? I did not know this.