July 11, 2008

Ultimately, it's all about the brats

This is one of the many reasons why I love the great State of Wisconsin.

As the Capital Times keeps up its editorializing on the Epic Systems/Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce kerfuffle, many of the attendant reader comments have to do with Johnsonville Sausage LLC, a popular Sheboygan Falls manufacturer of bratwurst and WMC member.

As far as I'm concerned, and since long before I ever heard of Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce, the question has been from times immemorial a no brainer.

My only complaint is that my favorite Usinger's product, the big, fat pre-cooked brats that come vertically packed in sets of four, are kind of hard to find. For example, the Metrosexual Market* at Van Buren and Juneau never seems to have them.

Fortunately having had occasion to visit the Sendik's in Mequon a couple of weeks ago, I found a giant cache of them priced attractively at $1.99 per package, so I wisely stocked the hell up.

Here's my recipe:

1) Boil the brats until the casing just starts to separate at the ends.

2) Place brat in brat bun from the Metrosexual Market bakery.

3) Apply mustard, chopped raw onions, Polish sauerkraut (that's the kind with caraway seeds), and your choice of prizewinning Wisconsin cheese from Brennan's in Brookfield (I like a nice mozzarella).

4) Place entire assembly under broiler for about 30 seconds (may vary depending on proximity to broiler element).

5) Consume.

6) Repeat.

* I have no idea why they call it that, but a lot of people do.

4 comments:

Tom said...

Damn skippy. If it doesn't fill the stomach, it's almost not worth filling the mind with thoughts about it either.

Of course, that means I need to spend even more time in the gym.

Jay Bullock said...

Why not throw 'em on the barbie?

illusory tenant said...

Yes, I coveted that barbie. But I ain't got one.

capper said...

Cheese? On a brat? Heated Mustard?
Sheesh, why not add a slab of back bacon on there while you're at it?

And, iT, you forgot the most important thing. The ice cold barley soda to wash it all down with.

As for me, I don't like Usinger's or Klements, I won't buy Johnsonville. I am hoping to get up to Wittenberg and get some of their homemade smoked brats.