December 12, 2007

GOP debate highlights

Wolf Blitzer asked [Mike] Huckabee about his comments on Mitt Romney’s faith, as published in the New York Times magazine this Sunday. The article highlighted this sentence from the new GOP frontrunner in Iowa: "Don’t Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"

This is part of what Huckabee said:

"After the debate today I went to Mitt Romney and apologized to him, because I said, I would never try, ever, to try to somehow pick out some point of your faith and make it, you know, an issue, and I wouldn’t."
Except when he would.

Nevertheless, Huckabee appears to be correct:
We needed a Savior to pay for our sins and teach us how to return to our Heavenly Father. Our Father said, "Whom shall I send?" Two of our brothers offered to help. Our oldest brother, Jesus Christ, who was then called Jehovah, said, "Here am I, send me." * * *

Satan, who was called Lucifer, also came, saying, "Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind ..."
Half brothers, perhaps, in a polygamous schema.

In another equally compelling GOP debate controversy, Alan Keyes reportedly apologized to Duncan Hunter for suggesting that, "Spiderman could totally kick the crap out of the Incredible Hulk."

No comments: